Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Morning

This year for Christmas the boys got exactly what they wanted. Above all the requests for various toys, games, guns, etc., they just wanted to be at home. In their own beds. Not moving to a new state or traveling hundreds of miles. They just wanted to be home. We even tried offering trips to Biltmore House, New Hampshire chalet or camping. They wouldn't budge...they wanted to be home. Truthfully, so did Mark and I.

A few shots of Christams moring...before the big accident.


We always start the morning reading Luke 2. This year the boys took turns reading. Joseph with Miss Holly Jolly.


Jacob is the chief gift sorter. He has to put all the presents into piles for each person. I don't know why he does this, but it's been HIS tradition since he was about 4 or 5. I love to really mix the presents up to give him a challenge...like the ones that are marked "boys". He's not quite sure what to do with these. One year, we put them under the tree in piles. That spoiled all his fun!

The annual Christmas bike. It seems someone gets one every year. This time it was Jonny, as his old bike met a cruel ending...the semi.

A little big, but with those long legs, it won't be long.
Another thing we do is take turns. A round robin sort of thing. That way everyone gets to share in the opening and there isn't chaois.
Jacob, new crocs.

Jonny a gun that Mark found at the tractor supply. You know you live in the country when you are shopping for Christmas gifts at the Tractor Supply.

Joseph is the budding chef. Now he is starting is cookware collection. I wasn't sure about giving him knives at this time, and I was right, as you will soon hear.

Video games, whatelse!

Another great find from the tractor supply.
Now for the horrible accident. There are no pictures, as it is just too graphic. If you have a weak stomach, just exit now.....are you ready?
My mom send Joseph a mandolin slicer for Christmas. He was so excited about it. As much as he loves to cook, it's a great gift. I gave a little demo...I left him in the kitchen with Mark...Mark was making breakfast and Joseph thought he'd slice some tomatoes...without the safety piece...he comes running into my bathroom with blood dripping...he took off part of a fingernail and underlying skin...the pain...the blood...Mark wrapped it in duct tape and gauze...I medicated him, strongly...there was nothing else to do...nothing to stitch...we resumed our day...had breakfast...threw out the tomatoes, with the fingernail. I was right about the knives.
Update...we used the slicer last night. No missing digits. Excellent potatoes. Lesson learned, always use the safety device!

2 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Hey!....hey!...don't give all the blame......Gramps' name was on that gift, too......Joe, we really do love you.....Nana

crispy said...

I can almost feel the finger pounding with pain. So sorry.

As for shopping at the Tractor Supply, it is so hick and I love it.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.