As a labor and delivery nurse, my days at work are usually filled with joy. Sure the work is hard, patients complain, doctors are grouchy, but I get to see a miracle every shift. To see that precious baby come into this world. To see the joy on the parents faces. To see their hopes fulfilled. It's such an unusual job and I love it! However there is a down-side and today was one of those days. I held the hand of a mom who 6 months ago lost her first baby to SIDS at 5 months of age and today is delivering her second. Her fears were palpable, yet her joy was real. She was so excited to have this baby, but she still grieved over the lost one. Could I do that? Could I be that brave? My second amazing mom was lady who delivered a 22 week stillborn. She tried everything to hold on to this pregnancy but knew that it was all in God's hands. As I dressed her baby for pictures and took footprints I was struck again that this was a
child. Only 1 pound but perfectly developed. Why does this happen? I can't answer that, but I know that heaven is sweeter with these precious babies. You never know what a mom has gone through when she walks through our doors, but these women are strong. I only hope that I could be that strong, and it reminds me that no matter what, I AM BLESSED!
2 comments:
Oh, I love to hear these kinds of posts. Life is precious. Thanks for the reminder.
I came over to your blog last night after I read your comments on The Vortex about the hospital tour. I really liked what you had to say and your rational suggestions. I noticed you had three boys too. Mine are 11, 9, and 4, and they are still awake tonight. :)
Last night, I looked to see what else you posted about birth and L & D. I am going to love your perspective and hope to read more about your experiences.
Post a Comment