Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bedtime

Lately bedtime has become a discussion around here. Not the actual going to bed, but the time that one has to remove himself from the Red Sox/ Yankee baseball games and report to bed. Jonny has no say in it. Being under the age of 5, he's in bed by 8:15- teeth, story, prayers, everything. The big boys are the problem. Setting aside the fact that we homeschool. Jacob feels now that he is 12 and in middle school, he should be allowed to stay up later. Joseph who is only 18 months younger doesn't see the reasoning behind that. Since I can't ask classmates moms what their children's bedtimes are, I'm asking you- the blog world. Those of you who read my blog from Cris' please, do tell. What time do your kids go to bed? My 10, 12 year-old boys are pushing for 9:30, but I'm thinking about 9pm at the latest. By then everyone should have their precious little heads on the pillows (maybe even me too)!

6 comments:

crispy said...

It seems that our bed time is getting later and later. It was for years in bed by 8 (well actually 7:30 a few years ago). I think what changed it was homeschooling. I know that I don't have the pressure to get them out the door early.

Last night I finished reading to them and looked at the clock and realised it was 9:15. Yikes. I aim for 8 but it turns into 9 with out much trying. Especially if Chuck is telling them a story (I hate to break up special Daddy time).

But here it is almost 8 in the morning and no one is stirring in their rooms. Gee, I wonder why???

Red said...

We too home school and do not punch a clock, but I see the need for a routine bedtime for a few reasons.

1) It teaches them that there is some order to the world.
2) I want some time for my brain to get back to normal after hanging with my children all day long. I need to become me again.

I myself enjoy a semi-routine bedtime, I sleep better and I look forward to sleep then.

And when you say 9, that means in bed by 9, not getting ready, for that leads to 9:15, and then before you know it, it is 9:30.

I love bedtimes, I miss the ones we had when they were little. the reading, and tucking in ritual. Life was good.

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

Midnight. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later. If you put them to sleep earlier they get up earlier. They don't sleep longer because you went to bed earlier.

Sarah said...

Hi,

Thank you for your comment on my blog about the hospital tour. I am going to talk about it at my appointment today and hopefully will be able to go back to see more. I did let the woman know that did our tour that I was definitely having a c-section, so she knew. I should have pressed to have her take me down there, but it was akward with the other families standing around and we needed to get home to our kids.

Well anyways, thanks again!

-Sarah
http://taylorvortex.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Oh and to answer your question, my two 8 year olds and 10 year old go to bed at 8pm. Some nights we don't quite make it by then, but that is our goal. The weekends are a little more relaxed and it's more like 9, 9:30. They leave for school at 8:45 and I get them up about 7:15. They used to be up waiting for me but as the year has gone on and they are more busy they are asleep when I get up so I know they don't need to go to bed any later at this point!

suzy said...

I wilk the saying, "When you have a 3 in your age, you can have a 3 in your bed-time"
Looking forward to seeing you all on Fathers' Day.
Suzy