Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ye Old Homestead

When we learned last fall that the Florida plant was closing and were at a crossroad as to what to do, we considered moving and working out of the Georgia plant. When all that happened there were several men who lost their jobs in Florida and some took the transfer to the new plant. Our being a part of that move was unusual, as we are not employees and they already had a large trucking company handling the freight, remember we are a one man show.

There were several men to spoke up and pushed to get Mark into the plant here in Georgia, and one of those we call Big Scott. To this day, he is always watching out for Mark and is a resource we go to for just about anything. As a way of helping them out and to show our appreciation for ALL his influence (he's pretty high up in the company) we are lending them our camper until his home in Florida sells.


Big Scott's wife is a lovely lady who has some health issues/metal allergies and has to can all her food. She cannot eat anything from a metal can. Unusual, huh? So to help her out, we are canning this week at our house and I am loving it. She is loving it too because she misses her
grandchildren so much and likes to just sit and talk with my guys. It's a win-win for everyone. So
here's some pictures of our first batch:


Green Bean's a whole crate full. Wash, cut and wash again!















Joseph in his apron. He was loving it all!














Two pressure cookers- we have a lot of beans to can











Our loot! Between ST and I, we canned 49 jars of green beans! I'm still amazed.








Now we start on peaches! More to come.

























1 comment:

crispy said...

I would have loved this. I am so new to canning I don't really know what I am doing. I look forward to learning. more.

Wish I were there. =)