Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Blueberry Fields Forever

Yes, I know the song is "Strawberry Fields" but for Joseph, Shirley and I it was blueberry fields. Yesterday we went picking. Jacob and Jonny stayed home, they just weren't up to it, but as usual Joseph wanted to see what it was all about.




The fields are located just about 10 minutes from the house. Strawberries are easier to pick, but nevertheless, we picked on. And on. And on. For about 2 1/2 hours. The end result, between Shirley and I, for she is a better picker, about 7 gallon size buckets of delicious blueberries.
Joseph decided about an hour into the picking that this wasn't what he thought it was going to be. After that, he sat down and talked to me while I picked. That's his arm, holding the branches for me, as usual he was a great helper.
My prized blueberries. We put up about 30 quart jars. I can't wait to make some blueberry cobbler, blueberry pancakes, blueberry muffins, blueberry...you get the idea.
I'm taking some time off from canning to get the school year started on Monday and the catch up on housework. I think I might like canning more :)

2 comments:

crispy said...

Where are you going to put all of this stuff??? I am soooo wishing I were there to do this with you. Next year I want to come and stay with you for a few days and get in on the fun.

Tim and Susan said...

Hey,
I am Crispy's sister. Thanks for taking her in on her trip. I know she had a good time and appreciated your hospitality.