Wednesday, February 4, 2009

USS Yorktown

Boy Scouts. We simply love being a part of this organization. The values that they stand for, the experiences the boys share and the leadership skills are tremendous.

Through the years the boys have had the opportunity to do some exciting things...hiking, backpacking, camping. This last trip has been their favorite.

Spending the weekend aboard the decommissioned USS Yorktown.
As far as I know, only scouts (boy, girl, cubs, brownies) are allowed this privilege.

Last weekend, our troop headed over to Charleston SC and the Yorktown.
Guns, guns and more guns. Every boys dream.



Joseph at the helm.



Boys and a cannon with the ship in the background.

Pilots briefing room. There's a lot of history in this chairs.




Joe by an engine.



View of the ship from the parking lot. She is a dingy compared to today's aircraft carriers.


While Jacob was working on a merit badge (I think), Mark and Joseph toured the ship. After regular touring hours you basically have the ship to yourselves.


Sailors quarters. Sleeping in the bunks and eating meals in the mess area are all apart of the weekend experience, including the early morning wake-up.




Joe and another gun.


View from the water headed over to Fort Sumter.

On a final note. The boys were able to see the ship about two years ago with the cub scouts, but only stayed on night and the activities were limited. They felt that this trip was so much better.
Mark and I also spent some time here on our honeymoon (or honeygoon as we say). If there is a ship anywhere on a vacation or within driving distance he has to see it. If I believed in reincarnation I'd think he was once a sailor.

1 comment:

crispy said...

I can see why your boys loved this. It looks like it is right up their alley. And I bet it was worth the drive over there.