Thursday, June 5, 2008

Compliments

How do you handle it when someone compliments your kids? Do you do the old "thanks, we try our best"? Are you laughing inside because you know the fight that occurred earlier that morning when they were not at their best? Do you think, "Yes, it's working"?

Yesterday we were at the dentist office again for the fillings and extractions. The boys see different dentist (because we go to the school in dentistry) and both doctors came out to the waiting room at different times to tell me that the boys were extremely well behaved and it was a pleasure to work with them. Now, how do I respond? Outwardly I say, "Thank you", but my little mind can't help but think "they had better or they are walking home" or "the beatings are working" or "the same two boys who fought over the Nintendo DS during the drive over".

In all seriousness there is nothing better than when you catch your kids doing something good, or when someone does it for you. It goes to their true character, the heart issue. How do they behave when your not looking. All I can say is that I'm proud of them. They are doing what's right, having good manners and hey maybe the beatings are working! :)

Just a little funny note- Jonny had a cavity filled and when he was finished we were waiting for Jacob. He kept pushing at his cheek and finally said, "Mommy, why did he leave a pillow in my mouth?" Got to love the HouseFly!

2 comments:

Red said...

There is no greater pleasure than getting a compliment on your children. Then what we do is paying off, and I will explain.

Are you the same person at home that you are outside,, or do you put your best foot forward? I know I dress differently and act differently. that that I have a split personality, but you get my meaning.

I ahve trained my children to behave when we go out and if not they pay the consequences when we get in the car and back home.

I have children that are a pleasure to be around. So my hard work has paid off. And get this. When they see chidlren (of any age) not acting properly, they tell me. "There mom must not have made them behave for her." So even they get it.

Keep on truckin' momma, you are doing just fine and dandy!

crispy said...

I love when someones compliments my kids. In fact I probably take too much pride in it. =)